Here you go…the simple so easy Malaysian style rice cooker Loh mai kai
2 cups Glutinous rice or sweet rice (soaked at least 4hrs or overnight)
Water enough to cover (slightly more) rice in rice cooker
2 tsp sesame oil to pan fry
1.5lb Chicken breast
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 sausages or lapcheong (I omitted as we didn’t have this in our pantry, sadly)
2 handsful of shitake mushroom
4 tbsp shao xing wine
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1. Heat oil and saute garlic then chicken breast until pink.
2. Add in lapcheong and shiitake mushroom for another 2 minutes.
3. Then pour in the sauce ingredients into wok and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add in the soaked glutinous rice into wok. Turn off fire and stir til combined.
5. Once combined, pour everything into your rice cooker and check if there’s enough water/sauce to cover the rice. If not enough, feel free to add water.
Once your rice cooker cooks, voila, your very ricecooker-made Loh mai Kai to be devoured!
Hubby was craving for msian food, and so was I!! Inspired by the Christmas Asian Buffet Spread we had at Uncle Don and Aunty Lings house, I decided to give it a go.
Turmeric powder (2tsp)
Glutinous rice or sweet brown rice (I used 4 cupsful)
Chicken (2lb) sliced
Coconut milk (3/4cup for curry and 1/2cup for sticky rice)
1 Big onion (sliced)
1. Slice chicken and onions into bite sizes.
2. Rinse sticky rice at least twice. Then pour in enough water to cover the rice and sprinkle in turmeric powder. Soak overnight or at least 8 hrs.
3. Drain away water from sticky rice and rinse again with tap water. Fill up with coconut milk and top off with some water until it is enough to cover the rice completely. Boil rice in rice cooker or steam it if you have a steamer. I used the rice cooker and it worked well :)
4. Heat wok with coconut oil. Add in onions. Fry til fragrant.
5. Add in chicken and the curry or rendang powder and fry til fragrant.
6. Mix in coconut milk after about 5mins. Let it Simmer for another 3-4mins.
7. Dish out rice once ready and serve with steaming hot curry/rendang!!
Easy peasy:) as it involves ready mix powder haha. Maybe the next time I’ll try from scratch!! When baby N gets older and in school!! ;)
Our Lil man will be 4 weeks soon!!! 4 more days to go…I hope his blood in the stool will be nothing major / serious. In Jesus’ name may he be healed! Amen!